Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Milestone Moments




So, I am pretty sure I was wrong.  I have always thought that the actual graduation ceremony wasn't all that important.  I didn't walk, wear the traditional attire or throw a mortarboard in the air for my high school or college completion.  I am pretty sure I missed the mark.  I didn't realize how important these milestone moments were until I was excluded from my oldest daughter's walk.  The memory flood raged with glimpses of teaching a chubby-cheeked little lady to sound out words, making salt dough geography maps, handing over the family checkbook for a finance class and countless late nights helping with college classes.  I wasn't present to celebrate that day of completion and it crushed me.

Moriah Noel - wearing her favorite "glasses" for reading :-)

Missing that moment in time has required more heart work than I ever anticipated.  God is in the business of redeeming all things and in the quiet repair of a wounded momma heart, He is giving back more than I ever dreamed.  My tall boy will walk next month as he graduates from high school and college.  He says it really isn't that big of a deal to him but he is selflessly offering me this moment in time to celebrate a job well done. It's a redeeming gift to me.



Then there is this over and above phenomenon, God does when we surrender tender places to him.

I am making plans to walk too!  In less than a year, the late study nights and sweet support of my family will be marked by a graduation ceremony for my Bachelors in Nursing in Terre Haute, Indiana.  This impending stake in the ground is not only a chance to celebrate the completion of challenging goals but the investment of friends and family who have cheered from the sidelines all along the way. 

                                     

Sometimes a milestone isn't just about the completer but about those who have made the dream or goal a reality.  Opportunities to mark milestone moments are important- treasure every single one!



2 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes. I am a huge celebrator; I probably wore you out on them. I know how awkward it is to be the center of attention, at a bridal showe, wedding shower, a graduation, a birthday, or any other occasion. But you are absolutely right...if selflessly we can realise the celebration belongs to those around us, then celebrate we must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful attention to the MOST important things surrounding an event!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete